Without our nightly meetings at the park, it is a challenge to stay current on what everyone is reading. I know The Duchess has embraced the Western genre for her summer reads, and Diane is reading Cutting for Stone, which I read, loved, and forced upon her. I, in turn, borrowed A Visit from the Goon Squad from The Duchess. I just finished it last night, and I know this puts me in a rather unpopular position, but it annoyed me. Pay me no mind. I didn't like Dances with Wolves either. But I absolutely loved Waterworld.
I know Bob is reading a book called 100 Simple Things You Can do to Prevent Alzheimer's, and he feels we should all be eating more curry, or was it milk and cookies? I can't remember. Uh oh. Anyway, I just wish he would get back to reading financial books because if he doesn't read them and tell us the important stuff, we might have to start reading them ourselves. Please Bob, don't make us read finance books.
And aren't you all just a tad curious what Bob M. is reading? I know I am. Last time I had a book discussion with him, he was reading Twilight in German.
I know DKG has been busy researching weapons, but I have no idea what The Girlfriend is reading. Maybe something on the topic of photography? And what about Patty floating out there on her kayak. What, I wonder, is she reading these days?
I, too, am reading the Alzheimer's book Bob is reading, or at least I was until I sat it down somewhere and now don't recall where. So now I mostly read the Internet when I can remember where my computer is. In my infrequent cogent moments recently, Kelly (a/k/a "The Girlfriend" and "TSE" (The Spousal Equivalent)) and I are enjoying an audiobook version of "Unbroken" a quasi-historical World War II novel, by Laura Hillenbrand. Does that novel fall into the "weapons research" category?
ReplyDeleteDear PHR literati:
ReplyDeleteI have indeed saddled up to trot the American Wild West. NPR indie booksellers recommend the following:
The Sisters Brothers
By Patrick DeWitt; hardcover, 336 pages; Ecco; list price: $23.99
Think Deadwood, but directed by the Coen brothers — a classic western with deadpan comic narration. Eli and Charlie Sisters are hired henchmen tracking a thief through the 1850s West. As the thief eludes them and their quest drags on, Eli realizes he's had enough of this rootless and violent life. As he grows weary and suspicious of his blood-thirsty, hard-drinking brother, Eli is an utterly endearing narrator, longing for quietude and love, even as he displays his fair share of gun-slinging. By turns hilarious, graphic and meditative, The Sisters Brothers
hooked me from page one all the way to 300 — and I could have stayed on for many
"Nothing Daunted: the Unexpected Education of two Society Girls in the West"
by Dorthy Wickenden (Lisa you might enjoy this it about teachers)
Doc: a Novel by Mary Doria Russell
The Last Gunfight: The real story of the gunfight at the OK Corral and how it changed the American West. by Jeff Guin
These books are weapon heavy.
Yup, I been done transported to yesteryear.