Monday, June 27, 2011

My Blue Period



There was discussion at the Dog Park recently regarding my choice of toenail polish color.   I was wearing an Essie color described as "a flirty and pretty tropical aqua" when a certain someone pointed out (correctly, I must add) that the color of my toenail polish was strikingly similar to the color of the weed killer sprayed on the nearby desert granite.  Later, a family member admitted, ever so gently, that blue was not really his favorite color for toenails, and that maybe blue toenails were better left to teenage girls and those experiencing severe oxygen deprivation. I began to doubt the wisdom of my blue toenail phase, and thought of switching back to the color I used last summer, a shimmery neutral by OPI called Sand in Your Suit.

Side note: Don't you just love the names of nail polishes? Pink-ing of You, Malaysian Mist, Suzi & the Lifeguard, Lincoln Park After Dark, Got a Date To-Knight, Mermaids Tears, Sparrow Me the Drama, Moon Over Mumbai, Makes Men Blush, Spark de Triomphe, Teenage Dream, Do You Lilac It?, and my all time favorite, I'm Not Really A Waitress.

Then I stumbled upon an article in The New York Times about the costume designer, Ann Roth.  In the article, Ann Roth states:  "The Tony Awards luncheon was today and I wore exactly what I had originally laid out last Thursday: the black silk smocked dress and the green coat. I wore black sandals and blue toenails. I’ve been wearing blue toenail polish every day since 1953. Back then, ladies would come up and tell me that it wasn’t very appropriate."

There she stood, a matriarch of fashion, with her toes painted the bluest of blues.  Right then and there, I realized what was needed- not less blue nail polish, but more.  

My newest polish is described as "a charming soft blue with a touch of shimmer."  Its name?  Sweet Talker


2 comments:

  1. Couldn't you pretty much get the same effect by dropping a Roadrunner cartoon-like anvil on your toes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealousy does not become you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete